Post-postmodernism

Fascinating.
Sometime when I'm not busy working 6 days a week I want to read this book:  Digimodernism: How New Technologies Dismantle the Postmodern and Reconfigure our Culture.

In 2006 the British scholar Alan Kirby formulated an entirely pessimistic socio-cultural assessment of post-postmodernism that he calls “pseudo-modernism.” Kirby associates pseudo-modernism with the triteness and shallowness resulting from the instantaneous, direct, and superficial participation in culture made possible by the internet, mobile phones, interactive television and similar means: “In pseudo-modernism one phones, clicks, presses, surfs, chooses, moves, downloads.”

Pseudo-modernism’s “typical intellectual states” are furthermore described as being “ignorance, fanaticism and anxiety” and it is said to produce a “trance-like state” in those participating in it. The net result of this media-induced shallowness and instantaneous participation in trivial events is a “silent autism” superseding “the neurosis of modernism and the narcissism of postmodernism.“ Kirby sees no aesthetically valuable works coming out of “pseudo-modernism.” As examples of its triteness he cites reality TV, interactive news programs, “the drivel found […] on some Wikipedia pages,” docu-soaps, and the essayistic cinema of Michael Moore or Morgan Spurlock.

Links to Wiki:
Post-postmodernism
New_Sincerity

Haha, so interesting that I found this on Wikipedia & now I am in the blogosphere sharing how stimulating I find it. It's like looking in a mirror to see another mirror...



3 comments:

  1. Hello, I like your blog, and I would like to contact you. I don't like publishing my email address publicly on the internet, so if you got this and read it I'd appreciate it if you could reply. Thank you in advance.

    PS: Do you live in Belgium?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoy reading my blog. I grew up all over, some in Europe, but mostly in the states. Right now I live in Colorado & most recently in Hawaii. Yes, I'd love to chat; let me know how I can reach you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...